OUT TOMORROW: RESOLVE: NEGOTIATING LIFE’S CONFLICTS WITH GREATER CONFIDENCE
THE NEW BOOK FROM DR. HAL MOVIUS CELEBRATED PSYCHOLOGIST, LEADERSHIP COACH, NEGOTIATION EXPERT
Resolve: Negotiating Life’s Conflicts With Greater Confidence, the new book from celebrated psychologist, negotiation expert, and Darden School of Business lecturer and author Dr. Hal Movius, is set for release tomorrow via LifeTree Media. The book has been featured in the Toronto Star, Metro, the Observer, Quartz, the Executives After Hours podcast and more.
Hal Movius has done a brilliant job of pulling together what psychology can teach us about how to raise our confidence level as a negotiator. Even the most reluctant and timid negotiators will benefit from his advice and coaching.
- Lawrence Susskind, vice-chair, Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School
Highly recommended reading for anyone who wants to bring their boldest, best self to conflict or negotiations.
- Amy Cuddy, bestselling author of Presence
So empowering, and not just for businesspeople. This is a book for you and me.
- Dar Williams, musician, writer
Who among us would not benefit from approaching conflict and negotiations with greater confidence? That’s what makes Resolve such an insightful and thought-provoking read. Hal Movius has helped countless individuals – and many of the world’s largest multinationals – to be smarter and more effective in dealing with differences. Here are the tools and techniques that show us how.
- Alexander Green, bestselling author of The Gone Fishin’ Portfolio
Founder and president of Movius Consulting, Dr. Movius works with leaders and teams all over the world, and serves as senior consultant to the Consensus Building Institute; visiting executive lecturer at the Darden Graduate School of Business; consultant to the Affective Neuroscience Laboratory at the University of Virginia, and research collaborator for Ethical Systems, a non-profit housed in the NYU Stern School's Business and Society Program. The co-author of Built to Win: Creating A World Class Negotiating Organization (Harvard Business Press, 2009) he also co-taught The Program on Technology Negotiation, an executive seminar offered through the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School.
Drawing on decades of research in interpersonal psychology and recent advances in social neuroscience, Resolve blends science-backed insight with practical techniques developed in Movius’ 25-year career as a mediator, negotiation trainer and coach.
Resolve explains that confidence is learned, that it is specific to particular domains, and that gaining confidence isn’t simply about being more assertive or certain. The book lays out tools and techniques for building genuine confidence as we face potential conflict by boosting our:
• Mastery: Knowing what to do or say in a situation.
• Poise: The capacity to manage emotions in the moment.
• Awareness: The ability to expand our thinking so that we avoid common traps.
Movius provides effective tools to boost confidence in all three of these critical areas so we can be more effective in resolving any type of conflict, from spontaneous flare-ups at home to planned business negotiations.
Readers will learn:
• Why interpersonal conflict is so disproportionately stressful for most of us
• How to transform potential conflicts into negotiations
• That genuine confidence can be acquired, regardless of personality
• How to respond to difficult emotional and manipulative tactics in counterparts.
• How to ward off common errors in judgment that can occur in conflicts
• How to deal with counterparts who act as if they don’t care about the relationship
• How to organize negotiations and conversations to be more productive
• How to negotiate with those we are closest to, or on behalf of others
Whether you negotiate for a living or only in your personal life, Resolve is the only guide you need to get safely and comfortably to the other side of any dispute.
For more information, please contact Carla Sacks, Krista Williams or Joe Cohen at Sacks & Co., 212.741.1000.